Katukina Kambo Provider
A traditional training in the art of Kambô, Rapé, and Sananga
November 5th-19th, 2018 • Acre, Brazil (Almost Full)
The KKP training is a direct transmission from the tribe to you! You will learn the art of Kambô, Rapé, and Sananga.
With a rich history, stretching back generations, the Katukina are considered masters of Kambô. The Katukina believe that their tribe would not have survived without Kambô. Kambô is a very important part of their tribal culture and one which they intend to protect through the correct initiation and training of Kambô providers.
During our time together we will learn to collect and give Kambô, give, receive and make Sananga, give, receive and make Rapé, all in the traditional Katukina way. We will receive much traditional knowledge and be empowered to work with others upon our return home.
The training will be conducted by the Katukina tribe in Portuguese and will be translated into English by two competent translators.
During our time together we will follow a special diet. This ‘dieta’ is designed to bring us clarity and to remove blocks from working with the medicines. There will be no textbooks, tests or Western overlay, just a deep prayer with the medicines and the Katukina. Our main guidance will come from the Spirit of the plants and of the Kambô.
Expect to receive prayers and guidance on connecting with the medicines and the people you are working with. You will receive the blessings on the Paje Kaku (Shaman) of the Katukina for your ongoing work with Kambô.
If you are ready to apply, please fill out the application. Please be as verbose as you wish in answering the essay questions and feel free to tell me why you would like to learn to give Kambô.
Kambo & plant medicine training, cultural activities, workshops, lectures, and celebrations.
- TWELVE sessions of Kambô, 6 times receiving and 6 times watching, learning and applying
- TWO ‘Uni’ ceremonies, the Katukina version of Ayahuasca
- Herbal bath with medicinal plants for spiritual strength, cleansing and restoring of energy within the mind, body, and spirit
- Trekking in the forest with explanations and teachings on the medicinal plants, their preparation, and use
- Learn to smudge with plants harvested from the forest
- Learn to collect herbs for, prepare and administer rapé in the Katukina tradition.
- Learn to collect herbs for, prepare and administer Sananga in the Katukina tradition.
- Encounters with the spiritual leaders of the village and their practices
- Learn the ancient Noke Kui body painting techniques
- Several lectures will be presented throughout. Subjects will cover the Katukina tribe, the history of the Kambo, the application of Kambo, all about Rapè, all about Sananga, entering the forest correctly
- Forest walks to find and collect Kambô medicine
- Traditional Katukina games, dances, and songs
- Traditional Katukina dieta (special diet) during the training (no salt nor sugar, mainly fruits, rice, and vegetables)
- Traditional Katukina celebration with jungle food on the last day
- For the duration of the course, there will be an internet/cellphone fast – there is no internet or cell phone service in the village (if you need to be online for work/family, then this course may not be for you).
- A certificate will be issued to those who complete the course to the Katukinas satisfaction. This certificate will be issued by “Akac Associação Katukina do Rio Campinas“
The November course includes:
- Transfer from Cruzeiro do Sul International (CZS) on the arrival day – If you arrive by land, you would simply meet us at the hotel one day prior to the course beginning.
- One night in a Cruzeiro do Sul hotel, the day prior to the course beginning.
- Transfer from the hotel to the Katukina village.
- 15 days training, medicines, food, accommodation, and material
- Transfer from the Katukina village to Cruzeiro do Sul International (CZS)
- Post-training you will receive a KKP listing on www.katukinakambo.com – this will allow you to promote your services and to share valuable resources for your Kambo practice.
- One double-sided Katukina Kambo Stick + ember vine
- Discounted Kambo Sticks, Rapé, Sananga and other shamanic tools for your ceremonies via www.shamanicsupply.com
- Private online KKP group for ongoing support – All matters relating to Kambô, Rapé or Sananga.
- A certificate of completion signed by the Paje of the Katukina.
Example Schedule from April (November is not yet locked in)
Download the latest schedule here.
If we have a group of 10 or more folks that wish to route through Miami to Brazilina, then Brazilia to Cruzeiro do Sul International we can secure a group travel discount. Please let me know if you intend to take this route. If may also just join a group flight from Brazilia toCruzeiro do Sul International if you are arriving from a different country to the Brasilia airport.
Visa / Passport
Brazil may require a visa depending on the passport you carry. If you are a US, Japanese or Australian citizen you may use this link to apply for an e-visa. Please make sure your passport is valid for 6 months from the date of travel and has at least one blank page available.
Price $2250 (exclusive of flights & visa)
A $950.00 deposit will be paid in US dollars after you been accepted to join the course. That payment can be made by US check, Credit Card, Venmo or Paypal.
Your residual payment of $1300 will be paid in cash (Brazilian reales) directly to the Katukina. This will require the timely ordering of Reales (Brazilian currency) from your bank, please do not buy your reales in Brazil from the airport as you will get a terrible exchange rate and draw attention to yourself. There is no other way to pay the tribe, so please plan ahead of time. There is a R$10,000 (BRL) cash limit for import into Brazil, but you will be well below that amount.
Brazilian immigration sometimes asks for a vaccination card showing a current Yellow Fever vaccination. Although this is not mandatory for attendance, you may want to get one just in case you are asked.
You will be required to send a copy of your passport to me soon after your acceptance. This is so the tribe can process your application to spend time on their tribal land. The Brazilian government controls visitors to native tribes for their protection.
Required Items to Bring
- Hammock with integrated mosquito net
- Sleeping bag or blanket
- Lamp / Flashlight (with spare batteries)
- Capable power block for solar charger for your camera/phone (you *will* have access to power in the village, but sometimes it can prove unreliable)
- A Universal converter plug – eg. this one for those coming from the US.
- Chemical mosquito repellant (natural products do not work well) – check TSA for banned list.
- Sawyer Picaridin, with 20 percent picaridin
- Ben’s 30% DEET Tick & Insect Wilderness Formula, with 30 percent deet
- Repel Lemon Eucalyptus, with 30 percent lemon eucalyptus oil
- Repel Scented Family, with 15 percent deet
- Natrapel 8 Hour, with 20 percent picaridin
- Off! Deepwoods VIII, with 25 percent deet
- Large, airy and comfortable clothes for the day
- Long sleeves and long pants or skirts for the evening
- Long hiking pants for walks in the forest
- Warm clothes for the night (expect 15 degrees / 59 Fahrenheit)
- Sandals or flipflops
- Hat for sun protection
- Alarm clock/watch for getting up and getting to activities on time
- Medicated cream for itch/bites eg. Hydrocortisone Cream
- Natural personal hygiene products such as Dr. Bronners which are easy on the environment
- Voice recorder or notebook with spare pens
- A fanny pack for your valuables (don’t worry, but it is South America 🙂
- Ziplock bags to keep things dry
Suggested Items to Bring
- The Katukina people, although rich in tradition and in natural resources are not wealthy in the material sense. There are many families in the village that would benefit greatly from our collective charity. The best way to support them is to bring good quality used clothing. The clothing can be for Men, Women, and Children. It can also be for all seasons. I suggest you start asking friends and family for donations and consider planning for an extra suitcase – this charity work will go a long way to helping those in need within the Katukina community.
There will be filming and photography for documentation and promotion. You will be required to sign a waiver allowing the use of your image.
Please do not apply or attend this course if any of the following are true:
- Your menstruation is considered heavy. During your cycle, you experience pain, anxiety, irritation and/or stress
- You have a serious heart problem (eg. Implanted cardioverter defibrillators, bypass surgery, valve replacement surgery)
- You have experienced a stroke
- You have diabetes
- you have hypertension
- You are taking heavy pharmaceuticals, such as medication for low blood pressure
- You had an organ transplant
- You have had a brain hemorrhage
- You experience aneurysms and/or blood clots
- You have a serious mental health problem (excluding depression, PTSD, and anxiety)
- You are undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- You are taking immune-suppressants for an organ transplant
- You have Addison’s disease
- You suffer from epilepsy
- You are recovering from a major surgical procedure
- You are pregnant or suspect that you might be
- You are breastfeeding babies under the age of 6 months old
- You will work with Bufo Alvarius (toad medicine) or iboga 8 weeks or less from the beginning of the course
- We are taking applications for November